Can you believe there is a castle in Texas? A real castle, like the ones in the Disney movies. Yes, it is true, it is located in the small town of Bellville, TX and in this article we are going to tell you why it is the perfect family road trip and why you need to visit it as soon as possible.
- Location – Newman’s castle is situated in the perfect location, only a few hours away from San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston. If you live in any of these cities, then you have no excuse not to visit this medieval castle. It is a 3.5 hour drive from Dallas, 1.5 hour drive from Houston, 1.5 hour drive from Austin and 2 hour drive from San Antonio, perfect family road trip time.
- Family Fun – No matter what age you are, this place is perfect for everyone. From a newborn baby to great grandpa, this place is for everyone. The owner has a special ceremony for the kids right before entering the castle too,so rest assure the little ones will enjoy this the most
- Freedom – yes, unlike some of the castles in Europe, the king of this castle gives you the freedom to roam around everywhere inside the castle. We went inside the dungeon, down the tower, into the roof top, inside the chapel, into the dining room, the guest rooms, the courtyard, everywhere. You have all the time in the world to explore and enjoy this masterpiece. The king did an excellent job building this unique structure and he lets you fully indulge yourself in it.
- Picture Perfect – Some of the pictures you can take inside the castle are incredible, but the ones you take outside with the castle as the background, those are breathtaking. We were told that a lot of people rent the entire castle just to do photo shots with it. We looked it up and yes, there are some amazing photos with the castle as a photo prop and the pictures are amazing. We took some pretty awesome pictures too, my advice is to walk past the catapult and take a picture using the reflection of the lake with the castle as your background, talk about picture perfect.
- The Catapult – yes there is a giant catapult located near the castle and it works! Of course, you are not allowed to mess around with the catapult, only the king can. Before entering the castle, the king will demonstrate the mighty power of the catapult by launching a rock into the lake which leaves everyone mesmerized and impressed by the power of this ancient weapon. The nerd in me got really excited!
- The Experience – This has to be the best thing about visiting Newman’s Castle. When, please tell me when have you ever heard of a castle located in the middle of nowhere? Literally, the middle of nowhere. The ride there, the feeling when you first see the castle as you turn the trees that block its view, the smile in your face when you realize the size of this castle, just everything about this experience is worth the drive. You will love it, the kids will definitely love it and this will leave you wondering, what other hidden gems are found in our great state of Texas? Who knows, this trip might spark some interest in you and you will become a Texas explorer like the rest of us.
For more information on how to visit Newman’s castle, please call ahead of time to book a spot as only a limited number of people are allowed to visit. The number to call is 979-865-9804, any questions they will gladly answer them for you.
This article was written by Vicente & Kirsten Sosa from KASVENTURES TRAVEL. You can find more helpful adventure tips and tricks on KASVENTURES's Instagram @kasventures